Every child at Southborough will have...
- The opportunity to visit the local library.
- Participation in local reading competitions including the summer reading challenge.
- Visits to the school library.
- Scholastic book fair.
- Access to their teachers reading stories on the school website.
- Participation in World Book Week dress up and enrichment events.
- Reading assemblies.
Reading environments and choice:
- An engaging, clearly labelled, tidy book corner with a range of classic and new, high-quality fiction and non-fiction texts.
- Newspapers made available and regularly changed so that children can keep up to date with current affairs.
- Advice on how to choose a book that they will like and exposure to new authors and genres.
- Time every week to choose a book and read for pleasure.
- Dedicated time each day where an adult will read to them.
- Time each week to read to an adult and other children in the classroom.
- Daily opportunities to engage in quality book talk.
Author visits/ Workshops:
- Author/ storyteller visits- every child will access at least one author event per year.
- Enthusiastic teachers with good knowledge of children’s books and enjoy participating in book talk.
- Teachers who are motivated and participate wholeheartedly in reading enrichment activities such as World Book Day.
- Teachers who model the love of reading!